UC San Diego SearchMenu

Fequently Asked Questions

Do I have to get a concentration in Anthropology for my major/minor?

At this time, students are not able to receive a general Anthropology major or minor. All students must decide which academic emphasis they wish to major/minor in either Archaeology; Biological; or Sociocultural.

How do I double major in Anthropology and….?

Students who are interested in double majoring should review the UCSD Policies and Procedures before applying with the Double Major Petition (page 2 of the petition). Overlapped courses outside the Anthropology Department must be approved beforehand by presenting the course syllabus to the Undergraduate Director.

What are my chances of getting into a course if I am on the waitlist?

Unfortunately, there is no way for the Program to know your chances of getting into a class. It is highly recommended you enroll in a back-up course in case you are not added. The waitlist is all automated and makes its final update on the Friday of Week 2 at 12am; if you were not automatically added from the waitlist by Friday morning, you will no longer considered to be on the waitlist as the waitlist no long exists.

If I am seriously ill and cannot take my final, what should I do?

Contact your professor as soon as possible to discuss the options that they will allow. If your professor agrees to let you take an Incomplete in the course, a Request for Incomplete form must be processed prior to the end of finals week. If you are unable to fill out the Incomplete form, you may ask your professor to generate the form on your behalf. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with their professor the following quarter, to see when and how the work should be completed. Failure to do so will result in an F grade for the course.

Where can I pick up my final exam?

If you have signed the Buckley Waiver, your exam will be placed in the Final Exam Cabinet - where exams from the previous quarter may be retrieved 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The cabinet is located on the 2th floor of the Social Sciences Building near the faculty wing, beginning the Wednesday after finals week and continuing until the end of the following quarter.

Please note: Exams without a Buckley Waiver will be available for pick up from the instructor.

What should I do if I do not receive a grade in a course that I attended?

Contact the professor as soon as possible to see why you did not receive a grade. In most cases, it is a simple clerical error that requires your professor to assign your grade online. Please note that blank grades will default to an F/NP if it is not assigned a grade by the end of the next quarter.

What if I believe the grade I receive is an error?

Problems with grades should be discussed with the instructor of the class or TA of the section. If you are having a serious conflict with an instructor, please bring your situation to the attention of the undergraduate coordinator. You must speak with the undergraduate coordinator before you make an appointment with the department chair.

How can I talk with an advisor?

You may contact the Anthropology Advisor via VAC or by going to Walk-In Advising Hours listed on the [Undergraduate Advising] page.