Skip to main content

Anthropology Financial Support

Our graduate students receive financial support for up to five years. 

Year 1-4 graduate students receive:

Full payment of tuition fees, plus stipend/salary and first year of non-resident tuition paid

A portion of the stipend/salary will be paid through an academic student employment (ASE) which includes graduate student researchers (GSRs), teaching assistants (TAs) or readers for an undergraduate course. Each of these employments cover tuition, graduate student health insurance (GSHIP) and has a monthly salary. The remainder financial support will be in the form of a Research Fellowship to work on a research project of their own.

For any non-California Residents the Department pays the student's non-resident supplemental tuition for their first year.  Students apply for California Residency their second year to avoid non-resident tuition fees. International students are not eligible for California Residency, the Department will pay up to 4 years of nonresident tuition. When international students advance to candidacy their nonresident tuition is waived for a maximum of three consecutive years.


Year 5 graduate students receive:

One year of fellowship support (for Research)

The department provides a one-year Research Stipend for a research fellowship. We also provide a fee scholarship that will pay fees (excluding non-resident supplemental tuition, if any). This year of support is specifically designated for research or dissertation write-up.


Beyond the five years of support:

After the funding commitment above ends, you can apply for various funding opportunities offered at UCSD. These include: 

  1. Applying for teaching and research opportunities available on campus. You are eligible to apply for student employment within Anthropology and/or other programs/departments at UCSD provided you have available TA quarters and are within your support time limit.  
  2. Up to two years of fee waiver support while doing fieldwork (this entails registering as “in absentia”).  Doctoral candidates often pursue dissertation fieldwork or other research away from campus. The department offers the opportunity to pay up to two years of resident registration fee waiver for doctoral candidates conducting research outside of California. Please note that while in absentia status does not include a stipend, it does include health insurance. To qualify for in absentia fee payment, students need to apply to our Department call each year they plan to do fieldwork outside of California.
  3. Apply to Anthropology and/or Graduate Division Fellowships. Some past Fellowships include research funding, travel reimbursement, and Advancement/Dissertation Fellowship, where students received stipend and tuition payment for one quarter to focus on their advancement and/or defense. 
  4. Apply for “Associate-In” positions within Anthropology and other programs/departments. As an Associate-In, you teach an undergraduate course and are listed as the instructor of record. This is a good opportunity to gain teaching experience and teach a subject based upon your background and/or interest. You must have available TA quarters, be within your support time limit, have advanced to candidacy, and have TA evaluation rates of 75% or higher for 3 consecutive years. 



Students are also encouraged to apply for Fellowships offered at UC San Diego and through outside organizations/institutions. To learn more visit the Grad Division


Financial Aid

For additional financial support students can apply for Financial Aid. Financial assistance is detailed in the Application for Graduate Admissions. Be sure to check the Financial Assistance Requested box indicating that you intend to apply for need-based financial aid and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March. (Foreign students are not eligible for need-based financial assistance.)

The UCSD school code for your FAFSA is 001317.