Skip to main content

Academic Advising

Anthropology students may send questions through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).

Please email to schedule an appointment. In the email please include the following:

  • Name, PID, Brief Description of what you'd like to discuss
  • 3 appointment times that work for you
  • Whether you prefer Zoom or Phone appointment (If phone, include the best number to reach you at)
Appointment availability is limited; if an advisor deems the rationale for the request appropriate, additional scheduling information will be provided. Please refer to the Anthropology eSubmission PDF for instructions on how to submit various forms to department advising. 

As always, we will also continue to advise via the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) during business hours! Please note that due to the influx of online emails and requests, we ask that you allow additional time for the advising staff to respond to your inquiry. We thank you for your patience. 

Academic advising at UC San Diego is shared by two sets of advisors - College and Major Advisors.

Your college advisor will provide you with general academic support, assist you with questions that you may have regarding college general education requirements, university requirements, IGETC and TAG, writing courses, graduation, and policy questions. Your Major Academic Advisor is available to provide advice and answers to questions about the Undergraduate Program in Anthropology.

Who should I see?

See Navigating Academic Advising and Records at UC San Diego (ERC Resource)

College Advisor Major/Minor Advisor Career Services
  • General Academic Support
  • College General Education Requirements (IGETC, TAG, writing courses)
  • Quarter by quarter planning for college general education & university requirements
  • Petition course for general education requirements
  • University Policies
  • Graduation and Unit Requirements
  • Assist with study abroad, financial aid, VA forms, International Center forms, student athlete forms, and verifying
    completion of college and university requirements for graduation
  • Advise on Major or Minor Requirements
  • Petitioning a course for credit towards a major/minor requirement
  • Global Health Field Experience Requirement
  • Double Major Petition
  • Application for Special Studies Course (Independent Research 198/199)
  • Advise on overall career acquisition 
  • Online and in-person career assessments
  • Employment acquisition including resume and cover letter development, job applications, and interview skills
  • Graduate school acquisition including applications and general requirements


Walk-in: Mondays - Fridays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Appointment: Please email to schedule an appointment.

Study Abroad Advising

1. Visit First Steps to get started.

2. Schedule an appointment with Global Health Study Abroad Advisors in the Study Abroad UC San Diego Office.

3. The Department of Anthropology offers field schools and Global Seminars that students may participate in to fulfill  degree requirements.  Please follow the link for more information.

Other UC San Diego Offices

  • Financial Aid Office -  Advise on financial aid packages and specific academic requirements to continue receiving aid.
  • Admissions Office - Handles and posts official transcripts, transfer agreements, and test scores completed outside of UC San Diego and verifies transferability of courses taken at other institutions back to UC San Diego
  • Registrar's Office - Handles official UC San Diego transcripts and schedule of classes at UC San Diego, Provides enrollment verification for students
  • International Students and Programs (ISPO) - Advises international students on visas, I-20s, and Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS)

For clearance to enroll in a class

Please submit a Course Pre-Auth Request.

Newly admitted transfer students

Contact the Undergraduate Advisor via “Online Advising” at



We're located in Eleanor Roosevelt College in the Social Science Building. Our administrative offices are located on the second floor in the Anthropology Administration Office.


Nearby Parking:



Degree Checks

Sample Four Year Plan

You can also plan out your courses by using the College and Major Planner.

Sample Two Year Plan

You can also plan out your courses by using the College and Major Planner.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I read my Degree Audit?
  • How do I enroll in ANTH 198/199?
  • How do I double major in Anthropology? 
    • To Double Major in Anthropology you will need to do the following:
      1. Make sure you meet all requirements: Minimum 2.5 GPA, Junior Standing (more than 90 units, less than 135 units)
      2. Complete a Double Major Petition and attach a brief statement of purpose (reason why you are completing 2 majors).
      3. Take your petition to the advisor for each major to review your plan and obtain their signatures.
      4. Submit the petition to your college academic advising office.

      For additional information see Declare a Double Major on Blink.


      * All lower division courses can count towards both majors. 

      * 10 upper division courses must be unique to each major. 

      * You can overlap upper division courses if each major has 10 unique courses. (e.g. if art history and anthropology each have 12 upper division requirements, you can overlap 2 courses, since you would still have 10 unique upper division courses for each major) 

  • How do I request pre-authorization to enroll in Anthropology Courses?
  • How do I add the major?
    • You can apply for Anthropology major at any time by using the Major/Minor tool.

See more: Frequently Asked Questions

You may also want to checkout...

Major and Minor Requirements


For questions regarding your GE and University requirements, please contact your college advisor: